Laundry is everyone’s least favorite chore. Laundry is the “Neverending Story” as an adult. It feels like every time you’re ahead, you’re behind.
Here are some tips and tricks I’ve found over the years that have helped cut down on this dreaded task.
1) Sort – the (very) first step. Ok, this seems like a no-brainer, but it’s really important. I have found that having separate bins for lights, darks, towels, and delicates really helps when it comes time to do laundry. So when you change clothes, you can throw the dirty ones in the corresponding bin, and when you go to do laundry, the sorting is already (hopefully) taken care of (unless you have a husband that sometimes just throws his dirty clothes on any flat surface – get to training ladies!).
2) Do at least 1 load of laundry per day. Laundry sucks, I know. But if you do at least 1 load every day, you can get through it a LOT quicker. That huge, menacing pile of dirty clothes is no longer an issue if you take care of 1 measly load a day. I drown in laundry after a few days, and I only have a husband and a cat. I can only imagine if you have 4 kids, a husband, 2 dogs, 3 cats, what that’s like. So do yourself a favor and do 1 load a day.
3) Get to know your appliances. Your washer and dryer should be some of your best friends. We recently just bought a house and got brand spankin’ new appliances. We got a high efficiency, WiFi-enabled, gadgets-out-the-ass washer and dryer from Samsung. When I first started using them, I just used the Normal settings on each, because I was either in too much of a hurry or too lazy to really learn how to use them (because who has time?). But one day I got a wild hair and read through the different options. Now I know which settings are the most efficient for different loads and types. Take one evening and really get to know your washer & dryer. Trust me, you will thank yourself.
4) Fold & Put Away. This is the part that really frustrates me. I despise folding. But I found different ways to make it more enjoyable and more efficient:
- Firstly, I like to fold laundry on our bed. So make the bed: it will create a nice, clean space for you to work, and clean up the room.
- Watch TV or a movie while folding.
- Talk to your spouse.
- Listen to cheery music.
- Drink wine! Wine makes everything more enjoyable.
- Place “like” items together. Duh, everyone knows this. But I want you to get really detailed: place each person’s “hanging” items on top of one another. Then grab a bunch of hangers. Put a hanger in each shirt, and as you do so, fold the shirts down on top of each other. Then when you’re done with the pile, grab the whole pile by the hangers and hang them up all at once. Easy!
- Save socks for last. If folding laundry sucks, folding socks together has to be the most mind-numbing task ever. So save it for last. I throw all the socks back in the laundry bin and put everything away before going to the socks.
So there you have it! Methods I’ve found that have cut time on laundry and made the task just a bit more enjoyable. I hope you have found these helpful. What are some ways you save time on laundry? Leave a comment below! 🙂