Omg. So I let my brushes get very, very dirty recently. We’ve had so much going on, I let them go for quite a while. I knew it was time to clean them about two months ago /ashamed to admit. My face had been breaking out too, which I’m sure is partly stress but another part had to be what I was putting on my face.
I read on Pinterest a few years ago how to effectively clean makeup brushes. You need only 3 ingredients:
- Dawn Dish Soap
- White vinegar
- Hot water
A quick how-to guide to clean your makeup brushes!:
- Gather up your makeup brushes, no matter how often or rarely you use them. Make sure to get any specialty brushes (i.e. the brushes that come with eye shadow palettes!) And don’t forget those Beauty Blenders!
- Fill a small glass jar with 1 part vinegar, 2 parts dish soap and 3 parts hot water. Take a brush, swish it in the water (try not to get the metal connector part wet, if possible, because it’ll wear out the bristles faster). Rinse the brush with hot water, swish in the cleaner mixture again, then rinse again with hot water.
- Repeat with other brushes. If your cleaner mixture starts to get cloudy and change color, dump out the water and start anew with a new batch of Dawn, vinegar, and hot water. You will need to dump and refresh several times.
- Lay the brush out to dry. Leaving the brush bristles out over the edge of a counter top so that it can get the ultimate air circulation is the best. Let dry overnight.
What about my Beauty Blenders?
- Fill a small container with Dawn Dish Soap and hot water.
- Take your Beauty Blender and soak it in the mixture, squishing it in so that it fills with the clean water.
- Repeat several times.
- Rinse the Beauty Blender with hot water and repeat. You will probably need to dump out the Dawn + water mixture a few times, depending on how dirty your sponge is.
- Once you are pleased with the cleanliness of your sponge (aka when it’s returned to its normal Pink color… or black or white or whatever color it is), place it in a microwave-safe container.
- Microwave the Beauty Blender for 20 seconds.
- Take it out (caution: HOT!) and let it air dry overnight.
There you have it! It does take some time, but you’ll definitely be glad you cleaned your brushes. Your face will appreciate it, too.